Saturday 31 October 2015

A Stop in Coimbra - Portugal

Coimbra was the halfway break between Aveiro and Lisbon for me. I heard it was a nice charming old town full of history. What I did not hear was that the hostel was a long hike uphill from the train station. The terrain of the city was a bit ridicules to me, like a city cutting though a valley yet as a tourist other than the winded lungs and strain legs plus physiological effect that keeps making me go downhill further away from any destination I want to go just so I can avoid going uphill; it made a wonderful place for exploration.

One of the oldest University in the world is in Coimbra and in a way it is like a university town. I was there during either the enrolment period or graduation but either way as I stroll into the old university compound students with fliers were approaching me to take up courses. One of them told me a blatant lie …. “It’s the oldest University in the World” …. Even without google …. I sensed something wrong …. But I could see the pride and confident she had of her university.

Viewing Tower in University of Coimbra
The university sits on the top peak of Coimbra and has a viewing tower that is absolutely breath-taking. It literary takes your breath away as you climb the narrow spiral staircase up all the way to the top. Best view of the city is from this tower.

View of Coimbra from University Tower
 

No comments:

Post a Comment